FOOD INDUSTRY - A VAST FIELD
In India, the food processing industry is increasingly seen as driving the rural economy as it brings about the synergy between the customer, industry, and agriculture. The Indian food processing industry is poised for huge growth, increasing its contribution to world food trade every year. The food sector has emerged as a high- growth and high – profit sector due to its immense potential for value addition, particularly within the food processing industry. This sector covers activities such as agriculture, horticulture, plantation animal husbandry, and fisheries. The food processing industry is one of the largest sectors in terms of production, consumption, and export and growth prospect.
In India, food processing is a key contributor to the generation of employment. This sector provided varieties of jobs which satisfies skilled and unskilled people to specialized one. The government of India is contributing significantly to generate employment by developing the food processing industry.
INDIAN FOOD PROCESSING INDUSTRY: MARKET
The Indian food and grocery market is the world’s sixth-largest, 70% of the sales. The Indian food processing industry accounts for 32% of the country’s total food market, one of the largest industries in India, and is ranked fifth in terms of production. With the online food delivery players like Food panda, Zomato, Tiny Owl, and Swiggy building scale through partnerships, the organized food business has a huge potential and a promising future.
The food industry is a complex, global collective of diverse businesses that supplies most of the food consumed by the world’s population. The term food industries cover’s a series of industrial activities directed at the processing, conversion, preparation, preservation, and packaging of foods. The food industry today has become highly diversified, with manufacturing ranging from small, traditional, family-run activities that are highly labor-intensive, to large, capital-intensive and highly mechanized depend almost entirely on local agriculture or fishing.
FOOD INDUSTRY LAYERS:
- Agriculture: raising crops, livestock, and seafood.
- Manufacturing: Agrichemicals, agricultural construction, farm machinery and supplies, seed, etc.
- Food processing: Food process preparation of fresh products for the market, and manufacture of prepared food products.
- Marketing: Promotion of generic products, new products, advertising, marketing campaigns, packaging, public relations, etc.
- Wholesale and food distribution: A vast global transportation network is required by the food industry to connect its numerous parts. These include suppliers, manufacturers, warehousing, retailers, and end consumers. There are also those companies that, during the food processing process, add vitamins, minerals, and other requirements usually lost during preparation.
- Grocery, farmer’s markets, public markets, and other retailing.
- Regulation: Regulation corresponds to the legal terms and restrictions imposed by government authority. Local regional, national, and international rules and regulations for food production and sale, including food quality, food security, food safety, marketing/advertising, and industry lobbying activities.
- Education: Academic, consultancy, vocational.
- Research and development: food technology
- Financial services: Credit, insurance.
Food is an essential part of our lives, which is why the way it is grown processed, and transported is worth understanding and improving. Broadly, the food industry comprises a complex network of activities about the supply, consumption, and catering of food products and services across the world. Finished food products and partially prepared instant food are also part of the food industry. The food industry employs a massive number of skilled and unskilled workers at the end of the day everyone satisfies and benefits.